Wayne Rooney fumes after Derby dealt relegation blow by Cardiff’s Ikpeazu | Championship

Steve Morison has vowed to “evolve” Cardiff as a football club after extending his contract as manager until the summer of 2023. Morison has been in charge since October, but his new contract was confirmed after Cardiff’s 1-0 home win over Derby boosted their Championship survival prospects, with Rams manager Wayne Rooney furious with the Welsh side’s winner.

Cardiff were 21st and just two points clear of the relegation zone when Morison succeeded Mick McCarthy on the back of eight successive defeats. The Bluebirds are now 16 points clear of Barnsley in 22nd place after a fifth win in nine games.

Morison said: “I’ve been acting as if I was going to be here because you can’t sit here and wait. The things I’m putting in place will help the football club long term. We need to evolve as a football club and move away from where we’ve been because the game’s changing.

“We’ve got to move with the change and the recruitment and scouting teams know what type of players we want. It would be the same if someone else was here.”

Quick Guide

League One roundup: Wigan close gap on Rotherham at top


Rotherham saw their lead at the top of Sky Bet League One trimmed to seven points after being held to a goalless draw at Shrewsbury. The Millers extended their unbeaten run to 10 games, but only after an impressive second-half effort from goalkeeper Josh Vickers (pictured) to secure another clean sheet.

Wigan made the most of their opportunity with a 2-0 home win over Fleetwood, as both sides finished with 10 men. Will Keane put the Latics ahead from the penalty spot in the 37th minute following a handball and James McClean doubled the lead just before half-time. 

Midfielder McClean, though, was sent off in stoppage time for a clash with Fleetwood substitute Joe Garner, who was also shown a red card.

Oxford saw their own promotion drive dented after in-form Portsmouth came from behind to win 3-2 at Fratton Park. The U’s, seeking a fourth straight win, took a third-minute lead through a fine individual effort from Marcus Browne. Pompey struck twice in the space of three minutes just before the break to turn the match around.

Sean Raggett headed an equaliser before George Hirst put them ahead following a swift counter-attack in first-half stoppage time. Hayden Carter added a third on the hour, with Oxford defender Luke McNally reducing the deficit in the 81st minute, but Pompey saw out the closing stages to extend their unbeaten run to five games.

Barry Bannan scored twice as Sheffield Wednesday thrashed Burton 5-2 to sit fifth. Liam Palmer put the Owls ahead in the 13th minute with captain Bannan adding a second. 

The Brewers started a fightback through a 20-yard effort from Adlene Guedioura on the half-hour, with the match halted shortly before half-time following a medical emergency in the North Stand. Oumar Niasse equalised early in the second half, but Wednesday regained control with two quick goals from Callum Paterson and Marvin Johnson before Bannan wrapped things up with three minutes left.

Anis Mehmeti scored twice as Wycombe beat Cambridge 3-0 to close up on the top six. Mehmeti headed the Chairboys in front after 11 minutes.

The Albanian midfielder then turned provider for Garath McCleary to make it 2-0 after a quarter-of-an-hour before grabbing his second with five minutes left. PA Media

Photograph: Robbie Jay Barratt – AMA/Getty Images Europe

Thank you for your feedback.

Uche Ikpeazu struck the 85th-minute winner, with Rooney insisting that Rams forward Festy Ebosele had been fouled before Cardiff launched their decisive attack.

Morison said: “I’ve looked at the moment back on video. He’s barely touched him and he’s thrown himself to the floor. Don’t forget too that the ball’s got to go from there down to the other end of the pitch.”

Rooney, however, was furious that the goal was allowed to stand and suggested that Derby have had a raw deal from referees in recent games.

Quick Guide

League Two roundup: Forest Green held but maintain cushion at top


Forest Green maintained their 10-point lead over Northampton at the top of the League Two table as both teams were held to draws. 

Forest Green fell behind in only the third minute against fellow promotion-chasers Newport to Finn Azaz’s effort but levelled 10 minutes after half-time through Jack Aitchison to earn a 1-1 draw.

Newport ended the match with 10 men after James Clarke was shown a second yellow card six minutes from time.

Northampton’s game with Walsall ended in the same scoreline but followed the opposite pattern, with Mitch Pinnock giving the Cobblers the lead in only the fourth minute but Conor Wilkinson (pictured) levelling for Walsall in the 50th minute.

At the bottom, Oldham were unable to climb out of the relegation zone but did claim another point in a 2-2 draw with Crawley.

All the goals came in a frantic period midway through the second half. Hallam Hope put Oldham ahead in the 56th minute but a quickfire double from Ashley Nadesan turned the tables before Christopher Missilou drew the Latics level in the 70th minute.

Carlisle made it back-to-back victories in their bid to beat the drop, Omari Patrick and Tobi Sho-Silva scoring in their 2-0 success over Rochdale

Colchester also appeared on the way to three points but had to settle for a 2-2 draw with Leyton Orient, who picked up just their third point in 12 games.

Orient took the lead through Ruel Sotiriou in the 66th minute but nine minutes later Myles Kenlock drew Colchester level and Owura Edwards put them ahead only for Ethan Coleman to level three minutes into stoppage time.

In-form Bristol Rovers finally ended 10-man Barrow’s resistance as Antony Evans’ long-range strike earned them a 1-0 victory over the Cumbrians, who had Niall Canavan sent off in the 32nd minute

Harrogate and Port Vale had to settle for a point each in a 1-1 draw, Ryan Edmondson cancelling out Alex Pattison’s opener. PA Media

Photograph: John Mallett/Rex Features

Thank you for your feedback.

“No one expects us to stay in this division,” said Rooney of a Derby side who are eight points from safety following a 21-point deduction. “I think we have exceeded expectations. Now, we get within touching distance, has that ruffled a few feathers?
“Are we getting punished for picking up more points than we should have? We have asked questions before.

“It’s a concern, the decisions we are not getting. I brought this up after the last game.
“Maybe they have discussed that and they don’t like that. I respect the officials but it is concerning.”

Derby have only 11 games left but Rooney refused to throw in the towel, adding: “It’s not over. We’ll keep fighting and keep going until the end. We are honest, young players trying to do the right thing every day and it’s difficult to take when these decisions go against us.”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.